I always love to hear about these major “success stories” or “rags to riches” stories. I don’t know why. Perhaps it is because I own my own business and work hard and want to acheive success in my career and life. Or maybe it is just because those stories of people who went above and beyond and made a mark on history show us how one individual can impact so many lives.
I was recently thinking about success stories and some of the greatest ones in the history of the world. John D. Rockefeller quickly came to mind. He was a very interesting guy. He was the world’s first “billionaire” by today’ standards. He was a mastermind in business forming his Standard Oil company. But at the same time, he was devoutly religious and attended church every Sunday, tithed 10% of his income since youth, and on top of that ended up giving nearly 500 million over his lifetime. His whole life revolved around God. He did all of this with a mere high school education (and he didn’t even stand out among his other classmates).
I also thought of other great people that had a huge impact on history. Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, George Washington Carver, and many more. All of these people defied the odds. By God’s grace, they invented and innovated things, built empires, and more. But perhaps the most interesting success story in the history of the world is the story of Jesus. It is in some ways a “rags to riches” story, but either way you cut it, Jesus’ story is incredible and no one can compare to the success of Jesus.
The Most Incredible Success Story in the History of the World- Jesus Christ:
Whether you believe in God or not, you can’t deny the effect this one man had in the world. It doesn’t matter whether you are Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Deist, Jewish, or any other faith. We can all clearly see what an impact he had.
So Let’s look at these interesting facts about Jesus:
- He was born in a poor manger in poor circumstances (very humble circumstances)
- He grew up as a well liked person (according to the Bible, he “grew in wisdom and favor among men”).
- His parents were relatively poor his whole life
- Jesus never had any formal education that we know of–and yet every day schools all over the world teach about Jesus.
- He started his public ministry around the age of 30 (and before that worked as a humble carpenter).
- He picked 12 “nobodies” to help him spread the gospel (the disciples). These men were mostly poor, and uneducated (not exactly who I would pick if I was trying to change the world).
- Jesus never wrote a book so far as we know–yet thousands upon thousands (if not millions) of books have been printed about him.
- He never had a lot of money throughout his whole life, –yet millions of dollars are given every year in his name.
- He was homeless throughout his ministry, and yet thousands upon thousands of buildings and churches bear his name throughout the world.
- He never traveled more than a few miles in his life, and yet his teachings were so profound that it spread throughout all the world.
- Jesus never made a movie, and yet movies and plays are recorded about his life every year.
- Jesus never wrote a song as far as we know, and yet people write music referencing Jesus’ life and death.
- After only 3 years of teaching, he was killed on the cross. Yet his messages, miracles, and teachings were so incredible, that the disciples spent the rest of their lives telling others. Many died terrible deaths, were tortured, thrown in prison, and worse. Yet, they continued to tell everyone of the message of Jesus. They could have stopped, and been spared. Many were told that if they didn’t stop teaching, they would be stoned to death. Yet many chose being “stoned” to denying what they saw and felt.
Just think about it: Millions pray to God the Father every day in Jesus’ name. Millions hear his teachings every week in church. Millions wear a “cross” around their necks. Millions of people argue, go on forums, debate, and talk about this Jesus person. Every day, Jesus is taught, thought about, prayed to, and more.
He did all of that, in 3 years!! 3 YEARS!! WOW!
It takes more that that to just get a simple college degree. In the past 26 years of my life, I have done nothing memorable at all. Yet in that short amount of time of 3 years, this man changed the world. He did it with no money, no television, no internet, no airplanes, no laptops, wifi, cell phones, cars, or any of the other luxuries we have today. Not exactly the ideal marketing setup, huh?
So with no money, no education, no technology, and all of the other tools and gadgets we have today, Jesus managed to impact the world in such a way, that He will NEVER be forgotten.
Think about all the people in the world who will work their ENTIRE LIVES, and will never even be remembered. It is sad to say, but I can’t even tell you the name of any of my great-grandparents. I have no clue. I know of no one at all past my parents and grandparents.
I also know that when I die, I will probably not be remembered by anyone either. My immediate family will always remember me, of course. But beyond that I will probably be quickly forgotten by each new generation, just like the most of us. We will rest in a grave with a stone that bears our name. Other than that, there will be no mention of us, no remembrance for most of us.
That is just incredible. Jesus did all of this in 3 years! With 12 “nobodies,” no money, no house, no cars, no planes, no money, no internet, no press releases, no books, no movies, no music videos, and nothing else.
That is without a doubt, the greatest success story in the history of the world!
The Bible teaches that unless you have Christ, you are dead in your sins. You will die and be lost for eternity in punishment for your sins. Jesus Christ died on the cross, so that through His blood, you might be saved. If you aren’t saved, today is the day to place your faith and trust in Christ, and receive forgiveness of your sins.