There is no doubt at all that eventually planet Earth will be destroyed. The interesting thing is that the Bible has quite a few things to say about these this event. In fact, Jesus himself gave us several signs we can see to know when the end times will be nearing.
We must keep in mind that even though we will have signs, that does not signal it is the end. Rather, it is the beginning of the end. It only signals that the official “end times clock” has started to tick.
We must have the signs of the end first, then more events will unfold over an unspecified period of time before the end finally comes (such as the rapture, tribulation, Antichrist, etc.).
What Are the Signs of the End Times According to the Bible?
People are often so fascinated with end times (I know I am). Jesus’ own disciples were certainly no different. We see that in Matthew chapter 24 (and Luke 21) the disciples asked Jesus about the end times. Jesus replies and gives the following summary of things that must come to pass:
- Many will claim to be the Christ (Messiah) or Claim to be Jesus. They will convince some people and lead them away.
- There will be wars and rumors of wars
- Nation will rise against nation, and Kingdom against Kingdom
- There will be an increase in Famines
- There will be an increase in Earthquakes
- There will be an increase in pestilences (Luke 21)
- There will be great signs in heaven (meaning space/the universe) with things such as the sun, moon, stars, etc. (Luke 21)
- Christian Persecution will increase
- People will increasingly betray one another
- People will increasingly hate on another
- There will be an increase in false Prophets
- Many people will be devoid of love
- The Gospel must be preached to all nations, then the end comes.
Keep in mind, all of the things above (and more) must happen first, but that does NOT mean the end is happening. Rather, it simply means the beginning of the end is here. Just like you when you see a tree producing buds, you know summer is near. When you see these signs, you know the end times are approaching, but there will still be an unknown period of time before all is finished.
When the buds of a tree do appear, you can gradually see the leaf form over time. By the time the tree’s branch is tender and green, and the bud has produced its leaf or flower, we know summer has arrived.
In this same way, we will see the signs appear gradually, and things will continue to follow suit exactly as the bible has revealed them. I imagine that these signs will be the beginning of the end, and things will continue to get progressively worse, right up until the end.
What Are Some More End Times Signs the Bible Mentions?
Jesus Christ was not the only one to give end times signs. There are even more in the bible. Here are some more signs leading up to the end times:
- People will be lovers of self and money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, no self control, brutal, hating good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying its power, and swayed by all kinds of evil desires. (2 Timothy 3:1–9)
- Travel and Knowledge will increase (Daniel 12:4)
- Knowing this first, that there shall come IN THE LAST DAYS scoffers,
walking after their own lusts, And saying, WHERE IS
THE PROMISE OF HIS COMING? (2 Pet 3:3-4)
- Return of Jewish Nation (Jeremiah 23:7-8)
- Creation of strong Kingdoms (nations), which will then disperse into one large and all-powerful Kingdom with an evil leader (a one world government). (Daniel 7)
- Rise of the Antichrist, which will head the government system (Daniel 7, Revelation). There will be many signs when this comes as well as I will discuss in future posts.
- Return of Christ, tribulation, and rapture will also take place at some point.
- Then further incredible signs and wonders will take place until the destruction of the world, the great judgment, and the new Heaven and new Earth is revealed.
Can We See Any of These Signs In Today’s World? Have Any of These Came to Pass?
People often scoff at the idea at bible prophecies. They see a prophetic statement such as “knowledge and travel will increase,” and they think, “yeah right, those prophecies are so vague, they could apply to any time period.”
However, the bible has an unrivaled ability to not only provide many detailed prophetic events exactly as they unfold, but many of the prophecies are written so that they are actually measurable. We can actually look scientifically on a graph and compare increases in overall knowledge. We can see increases in travel. Those are things we can observe and measure objectively.
So have all of these signs came to pass? Which ones have came to pass so far?
In the next post, I will look at many of these “signs” one by one to see which (if any) have come to pass.