Is smoking weed a sin? Does the bible mention pot? Should Christians smoke marijuana? These are all valid questions. I mean, after all, some suggest that smoking pot could never be a sin since God gave us this herb.
Let’s examine the scriputes, use logic, and see if smoking marijuana (aka, Mary Jane, Pot, Wacky Weed, etc.) is a sin. Here is a question I have received related to this issue:
I want to thank you for the great site and articles. I have a question regarding smoking marijuana. I have smoked pot a lot with friends in the past, but I have recently decided to follow God. I was wondering what the bible says about smoking pot. Is it a sin? Does God allow people, especially Christians, to smoke pot?
What the Bible Says About Smoking Marijuana or Pot
Thanks so much for the question Dexter. The bible does not specifically name marijuana as a drug in the bible. Of course, it doesn’t name cocaine, heroine, cigarettes or any of those other drugs either specifically by name (although to be fair, the bible doesn’t mention many modern sins specifically by name, such as pornography, as these names were created long after the bible was written).
There are also no recorded events that describe a person smoking pot directly. There are priests who lit incense, but that is a different thing altogether, and they weren’t smoking them.
Even though the bible does not specifically name marijuana, there are other scriptures that indirectly show us that smoking pot is absolutely a sin, and wrong. If you are genuinely interested in doing God’s will perfectly, the pot has got to go! Not only that, but you will learn some startling information and true-life experiences in this article that may make you think twice before you strike up another joint.
Bible Verses That Show us Smoking Pot or Doing Drugs is a Sin
The bible gives us several guidelines that can help us identify when a behavior is sinful or wrong. First, we have to obey what is known as “the laws of the land.”
Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. (Romans 13:1-2)
This is a very powerful scripture which shows us that obeying the governmental laws are, in fact, following God’s will. You may not realize it, but God establishes governments to help exercise his judgements and rules.
Most countries, including the US, treat smoking marijuana, selling marijuana, and so forth as a serious offense. You could face jail time, fines, and worse. So since smoking marijuana for recreational uses is illegal, and the bible instructs us to follow the laws of the land, that goes for pot too. Therefore, smoking pot is definitely a sin based on this alone. However, that isn’t the ONLY reason you should avoid this very serious drug. Keep reading.
Another way we can know that smoking pot is a sin is because the bible gives us several verses dealing with what God considers appropriate behavior. A short list of these scriptures is below:
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8)
But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (1 Corinthians 5:11)
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, (Titus 3:1)
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, (Ephesians 5:18)
These verses above show us quite clearly that smoking pot for recreational use would absolutely not be appealing to God. Think about it: If being drunk from wine is a sin (clearly indicated above), and grapes are natural fruits, then wouldn’t smoking pot also be a sin, since it alters your state of mind? The answer is yes, it would be a sin, and something that is just wrong. The bible also has this interesting verse:
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)
The word sorcery above was highlighted and underlined in this verse because “sorcerers” in the olden times used to use herbal and odd concoctions to induce drug highs. In fact, the word used in the bible for “sorcery” is is pharmakeia, which is where we get our word “pharmacy.”
Just based on those verses alone (and there are other similar verses to be found), it becomes quite clear that smoking pot, being a drunk, or doing any behavior which causes a person to become “high” for recreational purposes is wrong, probably illegal, and definitely a sin.
Other Reasons Why You Should NEVER Smoke Pot (or do drugs)
If the fear of God isn’t enough to motivate you to stopping smoking (or continue avoiding) pot, then I hope the truth of the matter will convince you. Here are some great reasons to NEVER smoke pot in your life:
- It is illegal. If you get caught smoking pot, you could face jail time, ruin your career, have a criminal record, and so much more. Police are great at catching people smoking pot during routine traffic stops, and so forth. Is that little joint worth ruining your whole life, career, and more? It’s sad but many people have destroyed families and careers over this drug. If you value a joint more than the word of God, then in fact, pot is your idol and has become your own false God.
- It is unhealthy. Smoking pot is much more dangerous and cancerous than smoking cigarettes. Pot generally has no filter like cigarettes do, and are far more carcinogenic. That’s great news if you really want lung cancer, but if you don’t, avoid it. There is more than enough ample evidence and first-hand experiences to note the side effects and damage it causes.
- It stinks. I can’t stand the smell of pot. It stinks link something funky. Do you want that on your clothes, fingers, hair, etc.?
- Its addictive. Any drug that is addictive should be avoided. Many people struggle with addictions, and I know people who are addicted to marijuana. If they don’t smoke a “joint,” they get very cranky until they do. Surprisingly, some suggest pot isn’t addictive. A quick search on google for the phrase “I’m addicted to pot” should bring up ample results and testimonies of real people struggling with addiction.
- It can ruin your life. Pot can ruin your life in so many ways. Because you have to obtain it illegally, you must deal with drug dealers, gang members, etc. to even obtain it. These people are generally dangerous, and not the kind of people you should hang around. You can also ruin your career, form an addiction, ruin a marriage, embarrass your family, and so many things. Why do it?
- It expensive. Good luck building wealth if you are a drug addict. Drugs certainly are NOT cheap, and pot is included. You will soon be surprised that most of your income will go to finance your drug habit.
- Drug Tests. Most companies make you take drug tests for employment, and also sometimes randomly tests employees. Companies are getting more and more strict about this. Some people may say, “there are ways around drug tests.” My reply to that would be, “if you have to lie and scheme to pass a drug test, you already have some serious issues.”
- It’s a Gateway Drug. I have witnessed many friends and even family go from smoking pot, to drinking, and then cocaine, and other serious and hard drugs. Pot is a known gateway drug which opens the doors and forces you to mingle with bad influences. Just avoid it.
- It Could Kill You. I had a friend who was seriously brain damaged by smoking pot. Some people have died from it. Why? I will explain below.
And those things above are just a tiny list of reasons you DON’T want to ever smoke pot. In fact, I had a friend in high school named David. He started smoking pot with his older brothers. He began doing it more and more frequently. I thought it was wrong, and hoped he would quit. One day I noticed he wasn’t in school for a few days. So I called him up on the phone.
As it turned out, he had been in the hospital, and was in serious medical trouble. It turns out that someone had “laced” the marijuana (pot) with some chemical, that caused him to pass out. He suffered several mental problems after this, losing most of his memory, and was never the same person. He never returned to my school, and had to have special care.
That is an HONEST true story that I witnessed first hand. Because pot is an illegal drug, it is grown and produced illegally. You never know what someone may have put in it, or what chemicals, pesticides, or whatever you may be smoking. You could inhale a dangerous chemical that could cause lasting brain damage.
I have also seen distant family members lose their jobs, go to jail, and so many other things. All because they were so “addicted” or just had to smoke grass.
Commonly Used Excuses On Why Some Say Smoking Pot Isn’t a Sin
Some people claim smoking pot is okay. They say it isn’t a sin, or that it is normal to do. Even worse, some lunatics actually try to convince people it is healthy (yeah right). I would like to show you why these arguments are absolutely ridiculous and absurd.
- The bible says God gave us all herbs for us to use. Some people point to a verse in Genesis in which God says he gave us all the “herbs” to use. This is absurd and based on faulty logic. First, he says we can “eat” them, not smoke them. Second, if you really think smoking pot is okay because of that verse, then I guess you also eat sticker/thorn bushes, poison ivy, cocaine, cyanide, poison berries, and any other ridiculous example you can imagine. Bottom line, there is no scriptural basis for smoking pot at all. Anyone who says otherwise is seriously diluting and twisting scriptures, and their faulty logic is painfully obvious. Third of all, God actually curses the Earth after the sin of Adam and Eve.
- The bible says we whatever we do, we should glorify God–That is also an absurd excuse. So can we now kill people to glorify God? Can I cheat on my wife to glorify God? Can I lie, steal, and cheat to glorify God? Absurd. Obviously God wants us to be sober-minded and holy. Not having a high all day and fighting addictions.
- We are Under a New Covenant in Christ–This lame excuse is used by many liberal Christians for anything they now want to get away with. Christ came to fulfill the law, and actually made it HARDER for us, for now we are bound by a loving grace. The old testament says don’t commit adultery. Jesus says don’t look at another woman with lust. Do you think that is easier? So if you think Jesus hung on a cross bleeding so you can get high with your friends, think again. You are seriously mistaken. If you use that excuse, then I guess we can say that for anything. I can say, I am not under “law” , therefore, I can go kill someone now. Get real people.
- Smoking Pot Relaxes Me–Getting a massage relaxes me. So does watching a good movie, reading a book, taking a hot shower, eating a good meal, and a whole slew of activities that are LEGAL, and HEALTHY. So why smoke pot? Are you that uncreative that you can’t find a way to relax without breaking the law and risking your health, and possibly damning yourself to hellfire for eternity? I know it is hard to overcome peer pressure and addiction, but you MUST break the bondage of drugs. No Christian can persist in habitual sins or drugs if they truly have surrenderred their lives to Christ.
- Smoking Pot Makes Me Laugh–Reading atheist’s arguments make me laugh. Watching a funny movie makes me laugh. Hearing a bible joke makes me laugh. I certainly don’t have to puff on some dead grass to do it, do you?
- Smoking Pot Makes Me Fit In–So will jumping off a bridge if that’s what your “crowd” is doing. But I don’t think you would do that. In fact, the bible says we should be separate from this world. We are to be “IN” the world, but not “OF” the world. Smoking pot makes you “fit in” with a type of person or crowd that you should be avoiding in the first place. Simple as that.
- Smoking Pot is Healthy—Yeah right. That not only contradicts loads of medical evidence, but I have witnessed countless times how destructive this drug is. It may seem harmless compared to meth or other hard drugs, but it is just as dangerous in the long run. If you think it will make you healthy, then keep puffing. You will find out the hard way, just like those who claim cigarettes aren’t unhealthy or dangerous. Lung cancer, memory loss/problems, stroke, and so many other things await you in due time. You can’t change the laws of physics, no matter how much you love drugs.
- Smoking Pot Will Make Me Famous–Yes, it is true many famous celebrities, musicians, and so forth smoke pot. How do I know? Because we all usually hear about them going into rehab, or being busted by the cops for it. Is that your dream for your life? Being mocked on TMZ for being a druggie that got caught? Or struggling, getting a divorce, or any other problems that celebrities and others show us daily? Rapper “Nate Dogg” died at age 41 from several strokes. Was it from pot? We can never say for sure. But he often rapped in his songs about getting high daily, and pot and cigarrette smoke is known to increase the risk for stroke dramatically. It hardens blood vessel walls and can cause heart issues as well.
- “You’re a Closed Minded Bigot Idiot”–Some may get upset about this article (probably if they are addicted to pot or still in college), and think I am being closed minded. Well by all means folks, let us all be open minded–but not so open minded that our brains fall out. There is zero good reason to smoke pot. If it makes me a bigot because I am not a “hippie” or a “liberal” then so be it. According to these people, God Himself is a bigot. So if God is a bigot, then I want to be a bigot too (according to your definition).
- Smoking Pot is Legal in Some Countries–So is pornography, slavery, child slavery, sex slavery, and a whole slew of other terrible things. Do I need to say more?
- Smoking Pot is Legal for Medicine Purposes–Medicinal marijuana isn’t a very popular idea for good reason: Very little evidence suggests it helps do ANYTHING. For any claimed benefits, there are tons of other prescription medications that could help terminally ill patients take away the pain. So why smoke pot? No reason!
How to Stop Smoking Pot, or Get Help for an Addiction
Through the power of God you can do all things, and that includes kicking a bad habit. If you find that you are addicted to pot, you owe it to yourself, your family, and God to stop. Some people are able to stop “cold-turkey.” This is great, and if you only experimented or occasionally used pot, then you may be able to stop immediately.
If you find you are addicted, you should seek support from friends, family, and even a church. If that isn’t good enough, then don’t neglect seeing a drug addiction rehab facility. There are so many ways to get help, and you can stop smoking pot.
Another big important thing to stop smoking pot is to avoid people who try to get you to smoke pot. If a friend tries to get you to smoke pot, they are NOT your friend. Any person that tried to get me to do something dangerous to my health, and ILLEGAL is certainly no friend of mine.
Conclusion: The Bible Clearly Shows us Smoking Pot is a Sin. Common Sense and Evidence Confirm Why
Smoking pot is clearly against the will of God, and is sinful. God wants us to be healthy and happy. Pot does not fit into that equation in any way. God warns us to avoid the dangers of drugs and inappropriate behavior. Pot is an illegal, unhealthy, and dangerous drug. You should avoid marijuana at all costs, and treat it as if it is cyanide, meth, or any other dangerous drug.
Some people try to throw out excuses to say smoking marijuana isn’t a sin, or that it is healthy, or that it is okay. That is a flat out lie. Any person with common sense can look around and see how marijuana is ruining people’s lives daily. They get arrested, lose jobs, die, and so forth.
Be smart, and don’t be a fool. Follow God’s will. Trust in Him. Good luck, and God bless.